Saturday, January 10, 2009

Collage Fits Art Journaling

col-lage (ke-lazh’) n. An artistic composition of objects and materials pasted on a surface [Gk. holla glue]

Last night I went to a party at my friend, Valli McDougle’s place. It was a Pampered Chef party for women. (If you haven’t been to a Pampered Chef party well, get yourself to one, they are fun and the food is fast, nutritious and delicious!)

Valli, our host, came to the first Art Camp for Women in 2007 and is an extraordinary water media artist. Her home is new and luxury of luxuries, she has TWO art studios, one upstairs and one downstairs. And she has acres of wall space to hang her art.

Right now she is taking a series of courses on collage technique and at the end of the evening she and I were huddled in the studio looking at her latest pieces. Collage to die for. This is one of her pieces
A Bridge to Nowhere.

Collage fits right in with Art Journaling and also is an accurate depiction of how my life is structured. In this day and age we are not a people of long continuums and big families. That era has passed. In my life I have patches and pieces of many different categories or domains of life. My income is from several different sources and endeavors. My social life has different age groups and different interest groups. Likewise, my creativity shows up in blurts of expression, rather than a long string of watercolors or photographs or years of dance. Even my health regime has several different expressions, run club with the kids, gym with my grown daughter, nutrition and cleansing with a peer, household veggie garden and kitchen organization with my husband.

Thus the collage of my life is more accurately reflected in the art of collage or again in the blurbs of art journaling.


Post Card from the Edge - Valli McDougle 1/09

No comments: