In keeping with this strategy I haunt the thrift stores, rummage through the recycling bin and clip coupons from the Sunday paper. Here are my favorites:
Recycle & Re-use:
- Costco Salad boxes are sturdy clear plastic with lids and the Roma Tomato containers are a long slim tray once the lid is cut off. Both make great storage bins.
- Sometimes Costco also has great deals on pens, papers and storage drawers.
- Lettuce boxes from other grocery stores are smaller, but also have nice lids and make good storage containers for smaller things like glue sticks or ephemera
- Large Cottage cheese and Yogurt Containers – good for holding brushes and water and have many other uses.
- Large Laundry jug lids and Small yogurt containers – perfect small paint & glue containers.
- Sleeves for to-go hot drinks – for texture and patterns.
- Gift wrap that is no longer good enough for presents (especially tissue).
Thrift stores & Garage Sales:
- Micro-wave muffin ‘tins’ 6 cup indentations great for several paint colors and mixing for a project – one of my best finds, and there are always one or two hidden in the cookware section.
- Lazy Susans, large and small, good way to keep pens, brushes, punches, scissors and rulers handy.
- Silk ties for small fabric projects.
- Dress patterns for collage and art dolls.
- Always watch for paint brushes.
- Discarded rug kits, the netting/webbing make great patterns for rubbing or spraying or even adding to a collage.
Sales & Sunday Paper Coupons - I use these when I run out of something essential and more expensive, like acrylic matte medium or gel medium or journals!
- Michael’s, Jo-Anne’s and Hobby Lobby – most Sundays these Stores have a 40% – 50% off coupon in their advertisements
- Annual clearance sales at the fancier stores, Meininger’s had a great sale last September, and after the December Holidays, many stores are cleaning up, for space and tax purposes. College bookstores often have a summer sale.
The fact remains that I spend a lot of money on art supplies, I am satisfied though that I could spend much more if I didn’t watch for bargains and savings. Keep your eyes open!